Saturday, October 25, 2014

Olaf Head Tutorial

I like warm hugs
The mouth shape left uncovered
and already starting the duct
No self-respecting Elsa would not be accompanied by her snowy creation, Olaf.  I whipped this up in two evenings, and it would have been quicker if the papier mache did not need to dry.  I started with a balloon, drew what I thought the mouth should look like, and then covered it with one layer of paper mache.  If this was meant to last, and if I had more time, I would recommend more coats, but I was under a time crunch.  After that dried, I put a layer of duct tape over it.  Then I hot glued some cotton batting where Olaf's cheeks and his head bulge were, and covered those with duct tape as well.  That approximated his head shape close enough.  I covered this with white felt, stapled and hot glued into place.  The nose is a cone of orange construction paper hot glued on, his "hair" is pipe cleaners, and I used puffy fabric paint to his eyes and eyebrows.  Astute Frozenites will notice that he is missing his teeth (tooth?).  Don't care.  Good enough.  Many smiles from the kids yesterday.
After I covered both cheeks and the
 head bulge,I felt his head could
use even more of a bulge.
Right cheek covered in
duct tape, first head bulge
applied, and left cheek still
 uncovered by duct tape


Sunday, October 19, 2014

My First Dollhouse's Homemade Details

This post is primarily for my niece, Nora, although, it is also for me.  For me, because most of these things were made so long ago, and left at my parents, and forgotten.  So when my mother brought these items out, and I saw them again for the first time in over 30 years, I couldn't even relate to that girl about to become a woman who had this creativity and free-time to produce such wonderful things.  Since then I've gotten three college degrees, had two careers after my initial working life as a secretary, been engaged, been married, and finally, had a daughter.  It seems so far in the past, this other, leisurely life. 

The book set was a purchased set of wood with printed covers
glued on.  Some of the covers became detached, so I bound
pages together to make a "working" book.  This one was called
"My Biography"
Here are some of the details that survived.  I remember I had made bread from actual kitchen ingredients with an edible glaze, and food from a recipe I memorized from the Mr. Roger's Show; none of that survived.  I had also made miniature pictures cut from a picture of a picture (this was before anyone had computers and printers).  I guess this is what children did before video games: explored their interests!
Armed with a Bic, I meticulously documented the story of
Dr. Doolittle (the male occupant) and Sunshine Family
daughter (the female) a la Laura Ingalls Wilder's "Farmer Boy"
My baby sister found the unfinished text
 and  decided to "help", marrying off the
 couple and giving them a "cild" in
just over a page.

Tiny carrot and celery, along with jam
jars from a picnic set purchased at
A tiny shelf with plants made from
quilling paper

Another plant from quilling paper

A wreath made from arbor vitea dried
buds, a hersey bar, a birthday candle
cut to size with a bead holder, and
a wooden spoon carved from a popsicle
Plant from quilling paper,
in a macrame planter, held
up with a pearl-headed pin
Another view

Elsa Costume Part 4 - Complete!


 Well, I finished it, and with weeks to spare.  The good news is that it will be much harder to steal than the Kitty head.  For info on how I made it, find the three prior posts.  She loves it, and I'm fairly happy with it.  We will do her hair and makeup on the days she will wear it.  Let it go, let it go!


The Hard Way Copyright © 2012 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template

Blogging tips