Friday, November 9, 2018

DIY Strawberry Costume

Trying on the dress for fit.
Another year, another costume. This year my Tootie Pie wanted to be a strawberry, and so I set to work on the design. We selected a dress from the local Salvation Army for, I think, $2.99. I wanted to buy a pair of brown leggings to go with it, but the price was unreasonable for something she would only wear a few times. I did some Pinterest searches and decided I would make a contrasting neck band, and some strawberry flowers on the head, and then did some template searches. I sized and printed on paper the leaves, seeds and flowers, and cut them out. I then traced the leaves and seeds onto thin cardboard from a cereal box, since I would be using those more than twice unlike the flowers. For the neck band, I used a t-shirt to attempt to get the sizing correct.

I used a t-shirt to get the neck
band around the right size.
Templates I used to cut the shapes
I made very fast progress on everything, until I got to the seeds. Something was daunting about this, but in the end it really didn't take that long. I tried to use fabric glue to attach the different shapes together, but the felt was absorbing it and it wouldn't stick correctly, so out came the glue gun. Tried and true. Since the dress was nice and I didn't want to ruin it, the seeds were pinned on, and the neck band was pinned on, as well. All in all, it was an easy DIY and I think it came out cute. It even won an award for "Most Creative Costume".








0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

The Hard Way Copyright © 2012 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template

Blogging tips