Sunday, October 20, 2019

Emil Stejnar Backlit Flower Mirror Tutorial


Some steps that you may not have to complete are:
  • Remove art from wall
  • Patch wall
  • Sand wall
  • Repaint wall with wrong paint color
  • Repaint again with correct paint color
After that is done, here's what you'll need to complete this project:
  • Mirror of any size and shape
  • "Arms" for flowers.  I used math manipulative linkage strips, but you could use popsicle sticks, or even create your own that bend more using polymer clay
  • A frame for the mirror.  I found mine on the street, and had my neighbor cut off the washers.
  • A light.  I used Ikea's Ledberg LEDs.
  • Tape or strong adhesive.  Duct tape worked fine for me.
  • Flower cookie cutters.  I used Fox Run and Makin's.
  • Tongs and loads of milk jugs.
  • Brass fasteners - I decided to skip these in the end
Take the cookie cutters, heat on an open flame, and quickly push through the milk jug to create your flowers. Repeat this forever. I used three different sizes to create a graduated look. If your mirror has a frame, you're a step ahead of the process. Mine did not, so I attached the frame using lots and lots of duct tape. Then, I attached the arms with hot glue to get a visual, but I'd recommend attaching the flowers before putting the arms on the mirror. The light I hot glued on as well.

In the end, I switched from the Ledberg, and instead used LED lights, that, score! came with a remote control and lighting effects! I bought it at amazon, and they are no longer available, but any rope light will work. 

Although my version bears only the slightest resemblance to the original, I am overall super pleased with how it looks. It certainly is like no other mirror in the world, and Tootie Pie and I have nicknamed it The Eclipse, after we witnessed the eclipse of 2017. Scientific to boot!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

The Hard Way Copyright © 2012 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template

Blogging tips