Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Mirror Salvage - Remove Gold Back Paint, But How? Or, New Faux Brass Coffee Table

Shiny!
Oh, gleaming sparkle!
Hi All! I have an estate sale find that somewhat fits my dream coffee table, an apparent one-off for a show house, never manufactured. I believe the architect that either made or commissioned the piece is named Alexander Girard. The only known one is in the Indiana Miller home, designed by Girard with none other than Eero Saarinen (shout out to my kitchen table). In other words, unattainable in the true sense, not just budgetary wise. So, what to do if I want it?

Of course, there is brass sheet metal, but I think that scallop edge may test my metal shearing skills. But then, I spy something shiny, underneath dried up glue and years of neglect, this neglected possibly beauty.

Better already after a bath
and scraping.
I spot potential. $5 potential.
To the untrained eye, it bears no resemblance, but to me, it has a smooth, shiny (for the most part) surface, and a wavy edge. If you scrunch up your eyes, they could look almost the same. It was at an estate sale in beautiful Crown Heights, Brooklyn, which is on for one day, until 4 p.m. So, I showed up at 3:30. Other things I was interested in were long gone, but there she was, the first thing that greeted the tag salers into a basement filled with decades of hoarding, albeit, good stuff.

This is probably different than the
Girard version. Arabic?
Ideas on replicating base appreciated.
So, now, DIYers: What next? Anyone know of a cheap version of this pattern leg? Or an easy DIY? For the moment, I am contemplating removing the gold back paint, but that may prove hard since the same solvent that would remove the paint would likely remove the mirror silvering, as well. So, I'm cleaning it up and waiting for it to speak to me.

It's current, impractical home.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

The Hard Way Copyright © 2012 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template

Blogging tips