Tuesday, January 23, 2024

DIY Jonathan Adler Metallic Ceramic Lamps Tutorial


There have been enough projects since I started this blog that I am flabbergasted that I only just now realized that I only documented one of my favorite Do It Yourself projects: the fake Jonathan Adler lamps I made about 10 years ago now.


For use as an actual
ginger jar?
Now that you've seen the real deal, my imitation pales, but at $550 per lamp, and I needed two, the authentic item will never be mine, wah! But, at Daffy's store closing, I found two ginger jars in silver metallic with a fluted shape, $5 each, and I was walking out with 2 and no idea HOW I was going to convert this useless - the opening is about 1" in diameter - decor item into my dream lamps.

Well, as it turns out, that's why they make ceramic drill bits and lamp kits! A quick and stressful drilling and hot gluing the lamp kit to the base (mhmmmm, this is going to be a wonky knock-off), and voila! I have since silver leafed the side table and documented the replacement of the other one. Curtains and bed linens long gone, as is mirror, which is another tutorial.

The finished product is not as
sinewy and curvaceous as
Adler's version, but not enough 
to justify the $495 price
difference!
The lamps, in situ, 3 curtains ago,
many bed linens
since, and friend's
donated 3 drawer chest leafed 
in silver.
So, I happened upon the ceramic fluted metallic jar, but locating a budget pair as I did may prove difficult. But, put your thinking cap on, what else could we use? A hurricane lamp back painted with mirror backing? Certainly this can be kicked up a notch! 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

The Hard Way Copyright © 2012 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template

Blogging tips