Sunday, February 23, 2020

DIY Scalloped Rug Tutorial - Cut a Rug!

Finished product. I feel like the 5x7 became
4x6 after cutting. Rainbow effect curtesy
of salvaged crystal hanging doodad in window.
Someone was throwing out
a chandelier, so I pulled off
the crystals. I tried to jazz up
the only roller shade left
in home.

Rectangles are out! Also, Macie, our stray kitty visitor, peed on Tootie Pie's rug, very intentionally. He was looking at her when he did it. I tried giving her rug a bath, and, wow, that was a lot of work. It's amazing how a 5x7 shag rug holds water! Plus, the size was just a touch too big for her floor and it needed to go under furniture. It was time to customize. I've been lusting after the latest rugs with not a right angle to be found.

For this project, you will need:
Not that you care, but when
I put in a bathroom downstairs,
those pink iridescent tiles are
going in.

Rug
Carpet knife
Frying pan or other round object
Band-aids

This would be difficult ($$$)
 to DIY, but maybe a carpet
store has long remnants?
Flip the rug over and trace around the circular object. I tried internet templates, but sizing was an issue, so I just eyeballed it. I would recommend leaving the rug binding OUT of the design, because cutting through it was unnecessarily difficult. The tutorials I read said to cut on a surface that you don't mind cutting, which I ignored. The floor has a few gouges, but Tootie Pie's floor was never redone, so that goes on the to-do list. Then, get cutting. I started with the blade in the knife, which was brutal. I switched the blade it was like cutting through butter (almost). So, keep a stash of fresh blades handy. And band-aids. You don't want to bleed on your handiwork.
Trying to cut through the binding is not advised

I considered putting fray check on the edges, but, being lazy, I'll see how it holds up without it. 

Pretty easy. I should have done this a long time ago.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

The Hard Way Copyright © 2012 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template

Blogging tips