Sunday, February 23, 2020

My Sparkly Custom Art

I have a specific vision. It is untrained, unless you consider poring over every design magazine (but not actually buying them) and checking out every design book the library has as training. I had the good fortune of making friends with a young man, when I was a young woman, who worked in a design firm, and he went through the magazines, too, but with an eye to recreate what he saw on the cheap. I was hooked. At first, I scoured resale shops, and in my town of Grand Rapids, nicknamed "Furniture City", a lot of people who worked for Herman Miller were offloading some midcentury modern things back in the early 90s, before it was cool again. But, I knew it was cool! Sadly, my move to NYC did not recreate the low prices of Grand Rapids, but it had something even better! Cast offs FOUND IN THE TRASH! Now, really, what could be better? The Grand Rapidians didn't know what they had; the New Yorkers didn't have space and just wanted it gone. Tootie Pie hates it when I see something and pull over, but, I do it anyhow. Aside from my custom bed, some emergency lighting, and some of Tootie Pie's furniture (from Ikea, natch), I haven't bought one thing new.

Table was red wood, repainted grey. Lamp from
my former roommate, also repainted. Fuzzy leaves will eventually
patch the wall where Macie, the visiting stray cat,
decided he needed to use to sharpen his claws.
Lampshade from Marvel Studios warehouse
sale (SCORE!!)

All that being said, I am not artistic. I remember throwing together my "pieces" in elementary art without thought or care. If I was to draw a person, like Dorothy Hamill or Kareem Abdul Jabber (don't ask), the finished product was an insult. I fell in love with Chagall, but I know my limits, and fine art just isn't in my repetoire.

When my living room was peach, I repainted a found canvas using a hand cut stencil. The stencil was cut from a transparency (teacher stash) and an X-acto knife. Since my stupid ex used the couch, and my Jonathan Adler pillows as bed linens, I needed a new, less bacteria-filled look. And then I saw this.


Okay, first of all, take your eyes off of that gorgeous bubble butt and perfect eyebrows, and look at this fierce costume. His pants were a midnight blue velvet, and the top...OMG. The music, the beauty, OH! Love, love, love. So, out came the craft paints and I emulated the feathery branching. I guess I didn't have navy, and I think it would have looked better if I did, but, still, it matched and it was free. But then, I missed the sparkle of Adam's top. And so, I went to Michaels, looking for round stones in teals and blue. Would you believe that I found peacock shaped bling?!?! I did.

This isn't a terribly exciting post, but it does make me happy. I may not be naturally artistic, but I can copy people who do. Fly on.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

The Hard Way Copyright © 2012 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template

Blogging tips