Sunday, February 18, 2024

Pelmet and Macrame Window Treatment Tutorials

Two beds ago and three window treatments later,
her room looks nothing like this

There are more window treatment options than just a curtain rod holding curtains. Since changed to a blind, but at one point, Tootie Pie's window once had a velvet pelmet made from a t.v. box and a scallop template, covered in light wadding and then pink velvet. I also found a natural linen 108" long panels, 4 in all, that I dyed a peach shade and then made matching wall art and painted my fauteuil to match. Now, I have gold sequin panels held back with mirror placemats cut and glued to a cheap tie-back. In the living room, these are paired with light turquoise velvet panels.

Using the templates to make the
scalloped edge and an X-acto knife

So now I wanted to make a macrame curtain featuring branches and leaves, and a test project where I tried using the twine I bought years ago for $0.50 for 2 giant spools proved disastrous. Remember that knot tying guild I mentioned back in the Christmas in July swap? Well, Celtic queen that I am thought it would be fun to try those infinity knots and, well, my home is now full of tiny yellow twine filaments. And, for some reason, I was only able to complete two knots when all knotting sense left me and I could not, after 10 attempts, make the third knot. I also need shuttles. 

Chandelier and bookcase are the only clues that this
is the same room as above, but now occupied by
a teenager, Tootie Pie! Oh, the curly curtain that 
she HATED.
Well, my blonde Tootie Pie once justified a $750 communion dress by using the logic that her favorite things about herself was her lips and hair (solid choices, both) and the bubbly style of the dress reminded her of her curls. Well, take my money, now! Well, it so happens that those twisted cones of twine that stayed in my garage for close to two decades remain curled, and so, I added a few ribbons, and now I have a blonde window treatment. Only one knot needed for this project.

After keeping this wonderous tentacled creation in curly girl's room, she wanted it OUT and so I moved it to the kitchen, where it does nothing to block out the afternoon sun, but it does dangle on the wet countertops, so it should get nice and fuzzy by the summer. Not fuzzy as in frizzy hair, but as in growing bacterial fuzz.
Curly curtain's new home


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

The Hard Way Copyright © 2012 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template

Blogging tips