Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Back to Milk Jugs - Tord Boontje Dup Bouquet Garland Light



Yes, I ripped off the design completely.
If you have 100 hours to cut one out by
hand, more power to you!

I really messed up my linen pendant lamp. The finial, which was attached using hot glue, fell off, necessitating an entire pull down to address. During its time away from the ceiling, I got carried away with the doodadding and it is tragic. No photos of the devastation will be shared, but suffice it to say that the clean lines had left the building.

The inspiration
The Midsummer Lamp, by Tord Boontje, has always been coveted by moi. Personally, I like the chrome version, but the paper one was lovelier, somehow. Well, I never forget a lamp, and during my research I found this:

This could be a painting,
but, no, it's a lamp!


And everything changed. My calcium intake is probably reaching unhealthy levels now. I need milk jugs! 

It does get easier and 
faster, but this took forever
Depending on what parts of the container I have left determines the length of the stem, so the set of 3 leaves is on a GMO stem, and the fig leaf's stem was severely reduced. But, all in all, I like my modifications. I even added my own branchy thing at 1 o'clock in the photo, and there will be other additions. I am underwhelmed at my daisies and one of the flowers needed its stem to grow at a Chernobyl angle because someone got carried away with the flower and forgot. The lilies of the valley are daunting and may not be attempted. But, imperfections is what make this OOAK, and the price is FREE!

The possibilities that this opens up is endless. Between the Marimekko rug dup and cutting out Boontje inspired florals is filling my days and fueling my creativity.

When I drink up the milk backlog, I will be making more. I seem to be able to get 5 from a half gallon container, so we'll be increasing in multiples of five. I also like using the bent part from the spout to make the attaching circles, because this makes them splay out more. 

A week's worth of tracing and cutting,
cutting, cutting. 

Update! I found 2 large water dispensers that created some longer garlands. I made nine more in 6 days, upping the count from 14 to 23. Well, that hardly seems sustainable. My poor fingers need another project for a bit, and I have just the one! Let's see how it looks hanging now.

Here it is. So wonderful, I'm in love! I had a selection of incandescent bulbs that will last throughout my lifetime, so I worry about the plastic melting, so I might look into one of those light cages that contractors use to not start fires. In the meantime, this should encourage Tootie Pie to not leave EVERY light on in the house.

I was worried about the fullness, but 
varying the sizes of the branch lengths
results in nice bushiness.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

The Hard Way Copyright © 2012 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template

Blogging tips