Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Finding Yarn for Marimekko Rug


This is going to be harder than I thought. I found two almost suitable yarns for my project, but the main photo is missing the chartreuse plus it isn't appropriate for rugs, and the second from the top is just peach rather than yellow-orange. So, this is going to be a lot harder than I thought. The greens are too far off on the right middle, from Peace Fleece. But the top-most yarns, from Harrisville Designs, is off for the marigold, but overall I could see the rug in this color combo. It is sold in 200 yard skeins for $17 a skein, and remembering my chart from the Pre-Contemplation post, we have:

As much as I'd love to patronize an actual store,
this is proving futile.

  • White: 37% = 39,960" or 1,110 yards = 6 skeins
  • Kelly: 18% = 19,440" or 540 yards = 3 skeins
  • Chartreuse: 13% = 14,040" or 390 yards = 2 skeins
  • Yellow: 14% = 15,120" or 420 yards = 2 skeins
  • Jonquil: 14% = 15,120" or 420 yards = 2 skeins
  • Black: 2% = 2,160" or 60 yards = 1 skein
That makes a grand total of 16 skeins x $17 = $272 in yarn. The good news is this is pure wool. The bad news is they are heathered. I asked for samples, but in the meantime, the search continues. Finally, maybe the best candidate, is on bottom right, which is from here.

For continuity's sake, I'd prefer to buy all of my yarns from one maker, but that's looking impossible. For the best colors, but no idea if the weights and plies will match or if it will look sparser in areas of different yarn brands, I would ideally chose the following colors: 
  • Chartreuse: one cone $29 + shipping
  • Kelly: two cones at €25 + shipping
  • Yellow: one cone $29 + shipping
  • Marigold: one cone $26.50 + shipping
  • White & black: doesn't matter, but I'd like true white and not sheep colored wool. Whatever is cheapest
How much of a rip-
off of this, how much
of Marimekko?
Comparing my rug mock-up to the art from the room, I'm back to preferring the blue-grey background instead of white. First, white rugs are impractical - but not nearly as impractical as black! I tried that in Tootie Pie's room and I swear I'm going to get a hernia trying to get the tiniest of lint molecules from that thick pile. Second, it will knock you over the head with how tied together my room is! Or should I do pink like the Wiinblad and subtly bring in that neutral? Still decisions and mockups to be made.

So, no one does samples, because shipping 4 inches of yarn would be exorbitant, but they do offer a sample card (for a fee, of course). So, there we have a reason to keep brick and mortar stores: color. Also, definitely quality. We've all seen those "What I expected versus what I got" stories. Some of us may have even experienced it. Oooh! Harrisville has 2-ply wool in 450 yard cones and 200 yard skeins. Here's what I need:
  • White: 37% = 39,960" or 1,110 yards = 3 cones 
  • Kelly: 18% = 19,440" or 540 yards = 1 cones, 1 skein
  • Chartreuse: 13% = 14,040" or 390 yards = 1 cone
  • Marigold: 14% = 15,120" or 420 yards = 1 cone
  • Yellow: 14% = 15,120" or 420 yards = 1 cone
  • Black: 2% = 2,160" or 60 yards = 1 skein
$26.50 * 7 = $185.50 plus $34 and free shipping, equals $219.50! Somehow the website computes it wrong: $217.50. Okay! Math does come in handy! Here are my colors to the right:

For comparison, this project will require me to make 54,000 loops. My Lucy project was 20"x27" and I assume it was 3.5 squares per inch, took just 6,125 loops, and that was pre-cut acrylic yarn. I will be having to cut mine, and wool will absorb oils from skin, so dryness should get worse. As it is, you can simply peel my skin off in thick sheets, despite regular cuticle trims and pumicing. What can I say, my skin really does its thing.

This is the end of my excitement. Now, the tedium begins. Also, figuring out how to transfer the design to the canvas. My projector days are over, sadly. Hmmm...maybe that's the teaching career calling me back for one...last...go. Surely I know a place with a screen larger than 3x5... My already too big for my space telly is 3'x2' approximately. Do it in bits? Remains to be solved. Keeping busy! Now, let's really get some carpal tunnel!





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

The Hard Way Copyright © 2012 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template

Blogging tips