Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Boo! Another Halloween costume! 2023 Version of Melody Ellis, American Girl

Happy Halloween! OMG, tomorrow/today's going to be long if we need to get candy after school and ballet but before too late. Okay, so, this year's theme is Melody Ellis, the 1960s American Doll. Here she is:

Okay, so, now, we got the eyewear  (not shown) just right, missed the colors a bit, and never figured out a purse. But, she will have something to hold.

Front after handpainting coat #45...

We strayed away from the bows (there is ONE at the collar now), and filled in with cheap bling to detract from the uneven application of 4 coats of paint. Next to shoes, looking like a headstone, is an album (not to size).

So, are you ready? Album front visible here. Glasses are spot on. Socks are on point. Shoes patented but not yet blinged. We sorted the hat to look less Carol Burnett and more 60s after the photo: pulled it way down. Still refusing the upflip-do. Should I spray down her hair with water and set it in rollers for the a.m.? Child abuse, you say? I will get an up-ending, you say? Kay.

Fully worn without jewels on shoes. Red, white and blue button worn, but not poppin! Too much going on with this print, but the album cover looks tropical, so she's on theme...

I guess I never got a picture of the dress before I added green. Bonus project underneath, because now I need to paint the back!

Here's the mock-up copy of her brothers' new album. Working out the colors. She is delivering it to Barry himself. They've known each other almost her whole life. (okay, I'm really deviating from the story now).


Back has pointers on messed up coloration on album cover and an address. All in my stroke-afflicted attempt at 1960s handwriting. I think that's a fail. Should the cover be bi- or tri-colored plus black? Add a border or leave edges free? Groove Records obviously a placeholder for an actual label. I think Motown will want the top half, and they've already put them there. Might swap colors there. Too much emphasis on the label.
Bling about 50% visible in this photo. It is now physically impossible to stand far enough back from Tootie Pie indoors to take a complete body shot.

Okay, so do you know how hard it is to find a houndstooth mod dress in shades of turquoise, green and yellow, maybe? Well, I never encountered one, and I live in thrift shoppers utopia. Anyhow, with the button and shades, I probably should have gone with turquoise for the shoes and I could have figured something out better for the hat. Well, that didn't happen and the shoes are popping! IMHO. Good night, and Happy Halloween!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

The Hard Way Copyright © 2012 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template

Blogging tips